If you’re looking for the most delicious gingerbread man recipe then you’ve come to the right place…although I am rather bias! Chewy on the inside, crunchy on the outside. Just how we like them!
Our recipe for gingerbread men (or gingerbread people!) was created to go alongside for our Gingerbread Man home learning topic. The recipe is so simple to follow that kids can do it independently, with a little help for the hot bits! Well, that’s if they don’t eat the gingerbread dough first (it’s tempting!).
Depending on the season, the recipe is also perfect as a Christmas recipe too. If you pop a little hole in the top of your gingerbread men before cooking, you can tie a ribbon to them to make a mouthwatering Christmas decoration! Great as a budget Christmas gift.
And who says it needs to be gingerbread man shape? They work just as well as gingerbread biscuits! Just roll the dough into a ball, place it onto the tray then slightly flatten down.
Enjoy them with a glass of milk!
Note: We have used muscovado sugar because we think it offers more flavour but brown sugar will work just as well! You can also substitute the sugar for honey – like for like (100g or 1/2 cup)
Not quite what you had in mind? Why not try our chocolate and peanut butter krispie treats? If you’re a fan of Reese’s chocolate then you’ll love them. Or give our favourite dessert a try, our tasty banoffee pie.
- 300g flour (2 1/2 cups)
- 120g butter (1/2 cup)
- 100g muscavado brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate soda
- See above for substitutes
1) Mix flour, bicarbonate soda and the spices together in a mixing bowl.
2) Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup together on a low heat until the sugar and butter have completely melted.
3) Pour the melted mixture from the pan to the mixing bowl and add the milk.
4) Mix together until you get a dough consistency. If your dough is too crumbly then add more liquid (milk, syrup, water).
5) Roll out the dough and then use your cutters to make your gingerbread men.
6) Place in the oven for 15 minutes on 150°C. (Note: Ovens usually come with their own settings so check your setting for the exact temperature needed)
7) After 15 minutes (or when the biscuit is golden), remove them and allow to cool. Once cooled, decorate them! 🙂