One of the go to meals in our household is chicken fajitas. It’s quick and simple, and extremely filling. Once over, our chicken fajitas were made from a packet mix. That was until one day I decided to look at the packaging and my heart stopped. Each fajita contained around 1.28g of salt. Considering a toddler’s recommended salt intake between the ages of 1 and 3 is 1.5g (See salt intake for all children here), I was feeding T almost his daily intake in one fajita! So I came up with my own healthy chicken fajitas.
All of the spices used in our healthy chicken fajitas recipe below are low in sodium and the recipe is suitable for Baby Led Weaning. However, one thing to consider is the onion and onion powder. If your baby has not been introduced to this yet then it is best to leave this out of the recipe and introduce it slowly. This is because onion can be difficult to digest and can cause gas. If your baby is already eating a range of fruit and vegetables then you may find that you don’t have this issue. You know your child, it’s your call 🙂
As always, our recipes are straightforward to follow with ingredients that are found easily in the supermarket. They are perfect for toddler meals, quick dinners and are a low budget meal.
Dont forget to pin us to Pinterest for later!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- Cumin powder
- Garlic powder/1 clove of fresh garlic
- Onion powder (optional)
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Tsp of Olive Oil
- Added extra: Grated cheese/Sauce of choice
- Put the raw chicken breasts into a pan of simmering water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the chicken has cooked, remove it from the pan and slice it up.
- Take a bowl and add the following spices to make your seasoning: 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (or 1 diced clove) and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. Mix everything together.
If you like a kick to your fajitas then you can also add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Place the sliced chicken into the seasoning and cover the chicken well.
- Add a teaspoon of olive oil to a wok or large frying pan and add your sliced vegetables. Lightly cook them in the oil until the onions soften.
- Add your chicken to the vegetables and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve your fajitas.